The chronic failure to provide a child with the basic necessities for his or her proper growth and development.
- Consistent hunger & poor hygiene.
- Inappropriate dress.
- Chronically unclean
- Consistent lack of supervision.
- Unattended physical / medical/dental needs.
- Often tired or listless
- Developmental lags
- Bald spots on an infant’s head
- Begging or stealing food
- Extended stays in school
- Early arrival/late departures at school
- Attendance at school infrequent
- Substance abuser
- States there is no parent or carer
- Has diagnosed chaotic, upsetting home life
- Is apathetic, feels nothing will change
- Is isolated from friends, relatives, neighbours
- Cannot be found
- Expects too much of a child
- Substance Abuser
- Exposes child to unsafe living conditions